Cast iron bridge plate for the Hutton Bridge over the Whitadder Water, Scottish Borders, painted blue indicating: “ERECTED 1837. JAMES JARDINE ENGINEER. RE-ERECTED 1878. D & T STEVENSON ENGINEERS. OLIVER & ARROL CONTRACTORS EDINBURGH.”
The bridge, with three spans of 55 ft over the Whitadder Water (at NT 921 546) , was erected in 1837 to a state-of-the art design of James Jardine with iron tension-rod truss spans supported on 50 ft tall, elegant, stone piers. In 1878 the trusses and deck were replaced by the iron-lattice girders and deck made and erected by Oliver & Arrol. The engineers were D. & T. Stevenson. In 1985 this superstructure was in turn replaced by a steel beam and reinforced concrete slab deck under the direction of consulting engineers Babtie, Shaw & Morton. The original piers and abutments were retained. One 1878 iron bridge plaque was re-erected on site in 1985 and the other can be seen here..