5 in reversing plain theodolite reading to 1 minute of arc. 4-screw levelling head (c.1860). It was made by Adie & Son, 50 Princes Street, Edinburgh.
Used for measuring horizontal and vertical angles in land surveying and for setting out works. A book of instructions for the use of theodolites is in the collection (see 1998/001).
This item was displayed prior to acquisition at the Institution of Municipal Engineers Centennial Exhibition, Brighton, June 1972. (Ref: DINNIS F.R.. A Catologue of the Exhibit Early Uses of Concrete in Edinburgh Roads which includes a selection of Surveying Instruments and an Ediograph in use c. 1872. The Institution of Municipal Engineers, 1972). A copy of this reference is held by the museum.