Punch in iron to impress the lettering “LEITH POLICE PAVING DEPT”.
In 1833 Leith was designated as independent burgh with its own town council. Leith was amalgamated with the City of Edinburgh in 1920. Under Section 142 of the Burgh Police (Scotland) Act, 1892 the Burgh Commissioners had powers “to undertake maintenance and repair of all the footways in the burgh”.
This punch would in all likelihood have been used during such maintenance and repair.