Rail Section

1985/002

Sections of a steel bullhead rail

SKU: 1985/002 Categories: ,

Description

Sections (420 mm and 49 mm length) of a steel bullhead rail both cut from an original longer length.

The rail from which this section has been cut is understood to have been manufactured by Cargo Fleet Ironworks Company Durham and originally weighed 75 lb/linear yd. It exhibits side wear (“lipping”) on the left hand face and a lip on the right hand face consistent with being worn on the outside of a bend (See images 1 and 2). About half an inch of metal has been worn off the top. The rail was found by the late Mr FR Dinnis former City Engineer of Edinburgh on his property at “Kellerstain” Gogar west of Edinburgh adjoining a large radius curve on the North British Railway Edinburgh to Glasgow line at OSGR NT 167 712 (see Image 3). It is believed to be a remnant from rail replacement works in the 1970’s.

Additional information

Acquisition Number

1985/002

Item Type

Short Description

Steel bullhead rail

Manufactured by

Date of Manufacture

c. 1885

Sub-items

None

Supporting Items

None

Makers Number

None

Marks

None

Dimensions (mm)

Shorter: 290 (H) x 622 (W) x 49 (L). Longer: 290 (H) x 622 (W) x 420 (L) weight 15.6 kg.

Donor

Date Donated

November 1985

Materials

Steel

Condition

Good (some thin rust)

Display Location

,