Rail Section


Short sections (2 No) of a wrought iron edge rail from the Laigh Milton Viaduct


SKU: 1995/008.2 Categories: , ,


Short sections (2 No) of 25 mm length has been cut from the original length taken from a longer section of wrought iron edge rail found in the River Irvine immediately downstream of Laigh Milton Viaduct on the former Kilmarnock & Troon Railway during its refurbishment in 1995-96 (see https://ice-museum-scotland.hw.ac.uk/product/1995-008-1/). It shows signs of wear or “lipping” (see Image 3 and https://ice-museum-scotland.hw.ac.uk/product/2024-001/)

May possibly have superseded the cast iron plate rails (see see https://ice-museum-scotland.hw.ac.uk/product/1995-007/) used on the railway until about 1846.

The Laigh Milton Viaduct on the Kilmarnock & Troon Railway, believed to be the world’s oldest viaduct on a public railway, was the work of leading civil engineer William Jessop. The double-track, horse-operated railway was opened in 1812, mainly for the export of coal, although it soon carried passengers. In 1816 it was the first railway in Scotland to operate with a Stephenson steam locomotive; nine years before the Stockton & Darlington.

Numerous significant railway relics were found during the restoration and this is just one of a number of them donated to ICE Scotland Museum.

For a detailed description of the conservation works click here.

Professor Roland Paxton wrote a paper for the Journal Historical Studies in Civil Engineering of the Japan Society of Civil Engineers. To read the paper click here.

For a general description and images of early cast iron plate railways see https://tringlocalhistory.org.uk/Railway/c03_track.htm.

For a film of the restoration works click here.

For an article on the history of the Kilmarnock & Troon Railway written by John Yellowlees in the Scotsman newspaper (dated 25 August 2022) click here.

Additional information

Acquisition Number


Item Type

Short Description

Edge rail

Manufactured by

Date of Manufacture

c. 1840



Supporting Items


Makers Number




Dimensions (mm)

100 (H) x 60 (W) x 25 (L)


Date Donated

November 1995


Wrought iron



Display Location