Brick used in the construction of the Thames Tunnel 1825-1842 (the works were completely suspended for a period between 1828 to 1835). The tunnel was designed by Sir Marc Isambard Brunel. The brick is part of a sample removed for examination during strengthening works in 1996.
The tunnel was the world’s first underwater tunnel. It was originally designed for pedestrian use but was converted to railway use in the 1860’s. Since 2010 it carries Transport for London’s Overground services between Rotherhithe and Wapping.