Deck hangers and connectors (2 No) from the South Portland Street Suspension Footbridge Glasgow erected 1851-53. The hanger is made in steel dating from 1926.
The South Portland Street Suspension Footbridge was built between 1851-53 (opened 18th May 1853) to replace Robert Stevenson’s temporary accommodation 14-span timber bridge which had been erected during nearby Broomielaw Bridge building in 1832 (or 1833-1835). Construction cost of this wrought iron suspension bridge was £13,000 and it was the first of its kind in the city. It is arguably Glasgow’s most elegant bridge, with Greek style triumphal arches designed by architect Alexander Kirkland with George Martin as engineer. It has a span of 126 m. The dip of its four, eye-bar link, chains is about 8 m. In 1870-71 the bridge was repaired by engineers Bell & Miller at a cost of £6,836. Works included altered ironwork, lowered main chains / deck by 7 ft & added lattice girders to side rails. In 1926 further repairs were undertaken by Sir William Arroll & Co to deck and siderails at a cost of £4,400 (including renewed girderwork, suspenders and floor). This item relates to this refurbishment.
In 1996 a partial replacement of deck hangers was undertaken. In 2004 further repairs were carried out to replace remaining deck hangers, strengthen the main chains at anchorage points, repair timber decking repaired, re-asphalt the deck surface (including anti-skid surfacing).