Two sections of LMS rails of lengths 960 and 1200 mm. They are from the Coltbridge Viaduct, Edinburgh (or its environs). The longer section of rail includes a fishplate. The rails are thought to be post 1923 when the Caledonian Railway was absorbed by the London, Midland and Scottish (LMS) Railway. The rail weight is 37.3 kg/m or 75 lb/yd. The longer section has been cut into three sections: a 300 mm section with fishplate, a 25 mm section with a remaining section of 875 mm. The 300 and 25 mm sections have been cleaned.
The viaduct, part of the Granton Branch Line, carried a double track over the Water of Leith at Roseburn adjacent to the Coltbridge Stone Depot. Murrayfield station was to the south with Craigleith Station to the north. The line was closed to passenger services in 1962 and to freight in 1967. More recently the track bed is used as a pedestrian and cycle track a section of which forms part of National Cycle Route 1 from Dover to Unst (Shetland Islands).
King Olav of Norway was one of the last passengers to use this line on his state visit to Edinburgh in October 1962.