Section of bored wooden (elm?) water pipe removed from Headwell Street Dunfermline, Fife in 1935.
For conveying water. Superseded from the early 19th century by cast iron pipes with joints much better able to withstand water pressure: eg Edinburgh – Glencorse water pipes dated 1821.
Exhibited at the “Exhibition of Civil Engineering Works”, Glasgow, 21 September – 23 October 1977.