Model in a glass case of the Broomielaw Bridge over the River Clyde in Glasgow showing a proposed Caledonian Railway wrought iron girder bridge adjoining it. Telford’s 7-arch masonry Broomielaw Bridge constructed 1833-36 is considered by Sir Alexander Gibb to be “in many ways the most beautiful of all” of Telford’s bridges Gibb Sir A.The Story of Telford. Alexander Maclehose & Co, 1935.
The proposal of 1846 to build a railway bridge on top of Telford’s bridge was still-born. The bridge is also known as Glasgow Bridge and more colloquially as the Jamaica Street Bridge.
A folder is retained by the museum. It contains three plans and longitudinal section of the River Clyde at Glasgow Harbour showing its development form 1758 to 1875. The drawings are partly hand coloured, mounted on card and bound in contemporary calf (undated c.1875). Donated in 1998 by Mr Hume Bailey of Stenton, Dunbar.