Bronze bridge plate indicating “EAST LOTHIAN COUNTY COUNCIL /RIVER TYNE BRIDGE / 1927 / SIR WILLIAM ARROLL & CO LTD /CONTRACTORS / GLASGOW”. Used for display on the former River Tyne Bridge carrying the A1 road over the River Tyne near East Linton East Lothian (OSGR NT 592 769). Demolished c.1981.
The River Tyne Bridge was a steel plate girder bridge of the cantilever and suspended span type. The basic design was not new, the Forth Bridge provides a much larger example but it was an unusual example of the application of the concept to the economical achievement of smaller spans. In “British Bridges” published by the Public Works Roads and Transport Congress in 1933 this bridge is illustrated as a good example of a plate girder bridge.