Winch to operate self-acting sluices (flap valves) on a land reclamation scheme installed by Telford as part of his great north road project in 1816 enlarged in 1834. The winch which may originate from these early dates was only used when too much fresh water on the land side of the Mound was beginning to flood farm land. At most times the flaps operated automatically when the head of water on the land side was higher than the sea level at low tide.
hree rods for use with the winch were used to fasten off the chain to hold one sluice open so that the winch can be used in turn to open up two further sluices. This winch dealt with 3 of 6 sluices.