Plate Rail

1997/005

Section of a Wilson variant plate rail

SKU: 1997/005 Category:

Description

Section of a Wilson variant plate rail from the Kilmarnock & Troon Railway found during the Laigh Milton Viaduct Conservation Project.

These strengthened rails, which were an invention of the Kilmarnock and Troon’s manager, John Wilson, were introduced around 1817 and are unique on this track. The three feet long rails had two fillets added immediately under the flat wheel track in order to reduce breakages from the overloading and hammer-blow pounding they received from George Stephenson’s new steam engine “The Duke”. It is estimated that around 70,000 of these rails were laid on the line, but when it was regraded in the 1840s they were all removed for scrap. It appears that this was the only section of rail to have survived idle, being dropped into the river and considered too much trouble to fish out

Note the considerable wear on the plate caused by iron-shod wheels.

This viaduct on the Kilmarnock & Troon Railway, believed to be the world’s oldest viaduct on a public railway, was the work of leading civil engineer William Jessop. The double-track, horse-operated railway was opened in 1812, mainly for the export of coal, although it soon carried passengers. In 1816 it was the first railway in Scotland to operate with a Stephenson steam locomotive; nine years before the Stockton & Darlington.

Numerous significant railway relics were found during the restoration and this is just one of a number of them donated to ICE Scotland Museum.

For a detailed description of the conservation works click here.

For further information on the viaduct see http://www.engineering-timelines.com/scripts/engineeringItem.asp?id=1243.

For a general description and images of early cast iron plate railways see https://tringlocalhistory.org.uk/Railway/c03_track.htm.

For a film of the restoration works click here.

Additional information

Acquisition Number

1997/005

Item Type

Short Description

Plate rail

Manufactured by

Date of Manufacture

c.1817

Sub-items

None

Supporting Items

None

Makers Number

None

Marks

None

Dimensions (mm)

375 (L) x 62 (base) x 133 (side flange)

Donor

Date Donated

December 1977

Materials

Cast iron

Condition

Good

Display Location