One of two bridge bearings from the Bilston Glen Viaduct.
A rocker and guided roller bearing from the Bilston Glen Viaduct, Midlothian. The bearing allows thermal movements and deflection of the structure whilst each supporting a weight of around 30 tonnes. The bearing was replaced in 1999 restoration work on the viaduct which forms part of the Midlothian Strategic Footpath and Cycle Network between Loanhead and Roslin. The scheme for restoration and conversion to a cycleway was designed by Blyth and Blyth on behalf of Midlothian Council.
Bilston Glen is in Midlothian near Loanhead a few miles south of Edinburgh. The steel lattice girder box viaduct was built across the glen by the North British Railway in 1892, replacing an earlier structure which had been designed by Thomas Bouch. The viaduct remains in use today as a cycle path and walkway. A matching pair removed at the same time to the ones on display can be seen at the east end of the viaduct.
For more information on the Bilston Glen Viaduct see https://canmore.org.uk/site/174570/bilston-viaduct.