Duplicate commemorative plaque unveiled on 2 July 2007 by HRH Duke of Edinburgh on a visit to Telford College, Edinburgh as part of the Telford 250 birthday celebrations. The plaque is accompanied by a second plaque which explains why the item has a connection with Heriot-Watt University.
The plaque recognises Telford’s engineering knowledge promotion and his collaboration with James Watt from 1799 on London Bridge replacement, the Caledonian Canal and water supply. For Glasgow Waterworks, Watt invented an iron pumping main with flexible “lobster tail” joints laid under water across the bed of the Clyde at Dalmarnock.
This item was on display at the University’s main entrance but is currently held in store.