Collection of papers etc held by the donor relating to the Forth Bridges.
The items include:
1. A reproduction copy (No 208 of a limited edition of 240) of the ticket for the Official Opening of the Forth Bridge by HRH The Prince of Wales on Tuesday 4th March 1890.
2. Copy of Forth Bridge Specification and signed Tender submitted by Tancred, Falkener, Phillip and Arrol on 25 October 1882 for Contract No 1.
3. Photograph and negative of the Forth Bridge plaque erected by the ICE and ASCE dated 27 August 1985.
4. Photograph of the “golden” rivet put in by HRH The Prince of Wales on 4 March 1890.
5. Facsimile of invitation card to the Opening Ceremony on 4 March 1890.
6. Colour image of Thomas Bouch’s design for the Forth Bridge.
7. Photocopy of a letter from John Fowler to the North British Railway dated 2 June 1881.
8. Photograph of the outside of the Visitors Book held on site during construction.
9. Photograph of Royal Family signatures in the Visitors Book dated 23 August 1884 (Alexandra, Albert Edward, Edward, George, Louise, Victoria and Maud).
10. Photograph of John Fowler’s drawing instruments.
11. Leaflet (x2) “The Forth Bridge” published by British Rail (Scotland) in 1979 and 1984.
The copy Specification and Tender (2) it is believed were reproduced from the original by Network Rail commemorate a visit by the American Society of Civil Engineers when they came to unveil the plaque (3) in 1980. The photocopy and photographs (7, 8, 9 and 10) were taken of items loaned to the Forth Bridges Visitor Centre by John Fowler’s grandchildren when the centre was opened in 1990. The items were returned to the family in late 1990.
Items 5 and 6 were loaned to South Ayrshire Council for an exhibition Spanning the Centuries Sir William Arrol’s Legacy in Steel, Stone, and Culture. Roselle House Museum & Galleries, Ayr. February – May 2023.