13 in brass “Y” level by Miller & Adie (c.1815) comprising a flat bar to the ends of which are located vertical supports for the telescope and longitudinal bubble (intact) set below. The eyepiece section is detachable for storing in its box and the object lens can be unscrewed for cleaning. The rearmost vertical support has a screw adjustment mechanism to raise or lower it to achieve fine tuning of the leveling process. The bottom flat plate is widened to accommodate a vertical sleeve with locking screw to attach to a spindle which is itself attached to a ball socket mechanism located on the top of the tripod.
The instrument is leveled by adjusting the ball and socket mechanism and the fine tuning mechanism described above.
This level was given to the donor by the then quarry manager for Dunion Quarry, near Jedburgh, during the mid 1960’s. It is understood that the instrument had been in use up to about 1950.
Miller & Adie worked together from 1804 until about 1822 in their workshop at 15 Nicolson Street, Edinburgh.