A WW2 British military issue map case manufactured by Waring & Gillow (1932) Ltd (1942) better known as a furniture manufacturer. Probably manufactured at Waring & Gillow’s Hammersmith factory in Cambridge Grove. The outer flap is in canvas with popper studs to secure its closure. The back board is made of a stiff composite material. A see-through perspex cover which is secured in place by four rotating brass clips allowing paper, maps or other documents to be securely held between the back board and cover. This item was probably manufactured at Waring & Gillow’s Hammersmith factory in Cambridge Grove.
In the early 1930’s Waring & Gillow had found themselves in financial difficulties and the company was restructured as Waring & Gillow (1932) Ltd.
Maps cases of this type, although manufactured for military use, were adopted for use by land surveyors. This particular case was used by Professor Roland Paxton in the early 1950’s.