A chain/hanger connector assembly (c.1825) from parts salvaged from the demolition of the former Gattonside Footbridge in 1991.
The assembly comprises two short sections of wrought iron iron chain links aligned with a stirrup spanning them. The hanger’s eye comes up through the centre of the stirrup and is held in place with a wedge. A split pin holds the stirrup tight against the chains to prevent it lifting clear of the chains. The two screw heads are there to hold the stirrup to the cable to keep the assembly together and are modern (not original). The rectangular bar attached to the ends of the cable sections is also modern (not original) and is there simply to hold the assembly together. The items have their original paint.