Iron cross pins (2 No) manufactured for restoration works on the Union Chain Bridge during restoration works (c.2022). An iron cross pin recovered from the Union Chain Bridge during restoration works (2020-2023). They are examples of pins that were used in conjunction with a link to connect two chain bars together. For a description of a similar pin and link from the Union Chain Bridge see https://ice-museum-scotland.hw.ac.uk/product/1981-001/.
The pin is oval in section to be accommodated in the eye of the chain bars (see Image 2 for dimensions). For an example of the eye-bars being connected see https://ice-museum-scotland.hw.ac.uk/product/2022-016/.
The washers used with the pin are also oval-shaped. For an example of the washers see https://ice-museum-scotland.hw.ac.uk/product/2022-018/.
For an exploded diagram of the chain link connection assembly see diagram_of_chain_knuckle_components.
The Union Bridge (also called Union Chain Suspension Bridge or Union Chain Bridge) is a suspension bridge spanning the River Tweed near Paxton, Berwickshire. It was opened in 1820 and at the time was the longest wrought iron suspension bridge in the world with a span of 137 m (449 ft). It was the first vehicular bridge of its type in the United Kingdom and today it is the oldest suspension bridge still carrying road traffic. It is a Category A listed building in Scotland and a Grade 1 listed building in England. It is a Scheduled Ancient Monument in both countries.
The bridge was designed by a Royal Navy officer, Captain Samuel Brown. Brown’s first design for the bridge was prepared in 1817 and the plans were reviewed by the eminent Scottish civil engineer John Rennie who asked for changes to the design of the stone abutments and towers. A portrait of Captain Brown (on loan from the Royal Pavilion, Libraries and Museums, Brighton) can be seen in the entrance hall in the nearby Paxton House.
For more detailed archaeological information on the Union Chain Bridge see an As-Existing Photographic Record undertaken for Northumberland County Council here.